Skip to main content

Five Easy Recipes You Can Make in Your Dorm Room!

Today's blog post is written by Faye Smith. Faye is a sophomore at Syracuse University majoring in Health and Exercise Science. She is an avid reader of College Corner and is excited to share her favorite dorm room meals with you!


Dorm food is typically synonymous with Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, Top Ramen and Quaker Instant Oatmeal Cups. All of these options are not only unhealthy but will not sustain you! Living in a dorm room does not mean that you cannot create easy, healthy and filling meals. In this article, I will share my five favorite meals to make in a dorm room.  

Omelette In A Mug

Omelettes are one of my favorite meals to make for breakfast. They are easy to make, delicious and nutritious. Usually, omelettes are made on the stove, but we're making one in the microwave for this dorm hack. 

Ingredients: 

- Two eggs

- Bell pepper, halved and diced

- Two slices of ham, diced

- 1/4 cup fresh arugula, chopped

- Three cherry tomatoes, halved

- Salt and pepper 

Directions: Combine all of the ingredients in a microwavable mug and cook for two-to-three minutes on high. Stir the ingredients every one minute to avoid the egg overflowing and enjoy!

Image Credit: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/omelette_in_a_mug/


Microwavable Cheese Quesadilla 

Quesadillas are one of my favorite foods. They are easy to make, customizable and very filling! This is my favorite dorm hack recipe to make! I love to add chicken to my quesadillas, but if you prefer steak, tofu, veggies, or any other filling, this recipe is still for you!

Ingredients: 

- Two medium flour tortilla

- 1/2 cup of shredded chicken

- Half a bell pepper, diced

- 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

- One tablespoon of taco seasoning

- Two cherry tomatoes, halved

Directions: Microwave the tortillas until it is warm and in a bowl, mix the seasoning with all the ingredients. Place the ingredients on one tortilla and cover it with the other. Place the quesadilla in the microwave on high for 7 minutes. 

Image Credit: https://www.rowanblog.com/2017/10/29/seven-dorm-friendly-microwave-meals/


Cauliflower Gnocchi

Cauliflower Gnocchi is one of Trader Joe's most sought-after items. It is versatile, tasty and can easily be made in the microwave! My favorite way to cook this gnocchi is with pesto sauce! This recipe is practically making itself and I always find myself wanting seconds!

Ingredients: 

- One packet of Trader Joe's Cauliflower Gnocchi

- Four tablespoons of pre-made pesto 

- Shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions: Follow the microwave instructions on the back of the gnocchi package. Once cooked through, add the pesto, parmesan cheese and enjoy! 

Image Credit: https://iowagirleats.com/3-ways-to-cook-trader-joes-frozen-cauliflower-gnocchi/


Veggie Burrito Bowl

The Chipotle on Marshall Street is one of my favorite places to go for burrito bowls, but when I do not have any money to spend, this is my go-to recipe! This veggie burrito bowl is easy to make, filling and giving me the same satisfaction as Chipotle! 

Ingredients: 

- 1 cup of Trader Joe's Brown Rice

- 1/2 cup of Trader Joe's Organic Brown Beans

- 1 tablespoon of shredded cheddar cheese

- 1/2 avocado, diced

- 3 tablespoons of salsa

Directions: In a microwavable bowl, cook the brown rice as instructed on the packaging. Once the rice is cooked, add all the rest of the ingredients and enjoy! 

Image Credit: https://www.healthy-liv.com/5-minute-vegetarian-burrito-bowl/


No-Bake Nutella Energy Balls

While being healthy is essential, so is getting your daily dose of chocolate! These energy balls are a fan favorite among my friends and I love making them! Be careful about how many you make because once you have one, it's difficult to stop!

Ingredients: 

- 2 cups of oats

- 1 1/4 cups of Nutella

- 1/2 cup of agave nectar 

- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts 

- 1/4 cup flaxseeds

- 1/2 cup coconut flakes  

Directions: In a bowl, stir together all of the ingredients until they are combined. Refrigerate the mixture for half an hour and once it is cooled roll it into bite-sized balls. Store these energy balls in the fridge and enjoy! 

Image Credit: http://www.loveandbellinis.com/2014/10/no-bake-nutella-energy-bites.html


I hope these five recipes make your dorm your new favorite place to eat! All of the ingredients mentioned can be found at the local Trader Joe's in Dewitt, NY. In my next article, I will be highlighting the best and most covid-friendly dining halls on Syracuse University's campus! What dining hall do you go to the most? Go to our Instagram story to vote for your favorite! For this location only, ask your cashier to use the code, "CollegeC," for 5% off your entire order! 







Comments

  1. Hi! Loved this article! The format and layout of the article was clear and easy read, while also providing some amazing recipes to make. Living in a dorm can be hard for people with picky eating but you provided a range of recipes and suggestions that could help any student eat more enjoyably during college. I love that you incorporated vegan options and was inclusive of dietary restrictions and choices so each student can feel represented. From personal experience, I know the dining halls can be intimidating, full of lackluster selections and can sometimes be a hassle to get to, so these recipes are great to know and implement into my routine. Thank you so much and I'm excited to read the next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    I live on South Campus, and I do not have a meal plan, so I am always looking for new recipes to try out. I found this blog not only helpful but creative! These are easy recipes, but I would never think to make them. Something I will definitely pick up the next time I go to Trader Joe's is the Cauliflower Gnocchi. I have always seen it, and I have been tempted to get it, but I never knew if I would like it enough. Now that you have suggested it, I will have to try it out! Also, the Nutella balls stuck out to me. They look so delicious and are clearly easy to make. They also seem relatively healthy. I will definitely be adding some items to my list for my trip to the grocery store tomorrow. I am glad I read this today, so I did not miss out on making these next week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hot and Instagram Worthy Spots of Onondaga County

     O nondaga County is full of beautiful vineyards, lakes and orchards. Syracuse, while it is home to some fantastic restaurants, does get old! A big part of being a Syracuse University student is exploring the county and making the best of being in upstate New York! This is a list of all the best places to spend a socially distanced and covid-safe day in Onondaga County! These choices were voted on through a poll on the College Corner Instagram! Beak & Skiff Beak & Skiff is a Syracuse University fan favorite! Located in Lafayette, Beak & Skiff never disappoints with their spiked cider, loaded bloody marys and cinnamon apple donuts. When the leaves turn, this is one of the most beautiful places to be with friends and take Instagram photos! Each time I have visited Beak & Skiff, I left with a souvenir and great memories. This is a must-see in Onondaga County, but be prepared to wait a while for a place to sit! Crazy Daisies Located in Syracuse, Crazy Daisies is a prim

Speaker Spotlight: Josh Trujillo

In my PRL 215 class, I had the fantastic opportunity to listen to guest speaker Josh Trujillo speak about his career as a senior visual storyteller for none other than Starbucks! Starbucks is a crucial element in my day-to-day life, as I'm sure it is in yours! My first Starbucks drink was a double chocolate chip"venti" frappuccino when I was in middle school; from then on, Starbucks has been my best friend. I am going to extend to you all the key points I gathered from Mr.Trujillo's presentation!    Josh Trujillo is a photographer by trade. He has photographed war, the Pope and has traveled with presidents. After a successful career as a photographer, Josh took his passion and turned it into a beautiful career, sharing some of the stories of Starbucks customers and workers. In an article he wrote for Starbucks titled "Starbucks 2019: The Year in Pictures," he stated that his work with Starbucks Stories centers around the idea of documenting some of the "